Last Alteration: Friday 30 January 2009

Phoenix Cinema

GPS Coordinates

51°38'50"-03°29'17" show decimal

Google Earth

Location Point

Streetmap

Online Map

Phoenix Cinema
Church Road, Pentre, Mid-Glamorgan, CF41 7EH

The cinema started life as the Maindy and Eastern Workmen's Institute in September 1895, providing a news, library and committee room. It expanded in 1904 to include a workmen's hall, and by 1908 was being rented out to show silent movies. The Institute and Hall went into decline in the 1940s as the mines in the area started to close, but continued to show films until 1971 when it unsurprisingly became a bingo hall. However, in 1991 it gained a new life and name as the Phoenix.

Where to travel to next?

»

For detailed information where you can travel to next, see the full Locations Guide entry.

Additional Torchwood locations as the crow flies:

In the News:

»

11 Oct 2007: Rhondda Leader - "Torchwood touches down"

Related Stories

»

From Out Of The Rain [3-4 Oct 2007]: Inside the Cinema hall

Information, downloads, photographs and other media are provided for reference and for personal use only (planning visits etc.) - they remain the copyright of their respective authors and may not be duplicated on any other website or media without prior permission.

All screen captures are the copyright of the BBC and appear here as reference to illustrate the location in comparison with how it looked at the time of filming and the present day; no attempt is made to supercede this or any other copyright.

Webpage meets XHTML+RDFa standard Webpage meets CSS standard

Page visited 4605 times